UK Poker Sites FAQ - All About UK Online Poker
Online poker sites provide the kind of gambling experience you'd expect in physical casinos, but you access them on the Internet. Imagine the same fun and excitement, only you're there instantly, with little effort or need to dress any particular way. But you probably have a lot of questions, like:
- What about safety, security, and fairness?
- What real money factors like bonuses, banking, and taxes come into play?
- Which of my devices can use?
- What really distinguishes one site from another?
Our expert team at PokerSites.co.uk continually research the industry so you can understand everything from the basics to the finer details. Consult these frequently asked questions and other information regularly to eliminate any doubt or hesitation. A confident poker player is a winning poker player.
Are My Personal Details Safe?
Yes. Nothing is more critical to an online poker site's reputation than the security of your personal information. As a matter of fact, it's the first attribute PokerSites.co.uk examines when rating top online real money poker sites. Are New Poker Sites Trustworthy?
They are if they hail from a high quality jurisdiction like the UK. Top jurisdictions enforce the best regulation. That implies a license demands fair games, auditing, player protection, and independent arbiters of disputes.
The UK Gambling Commission licenses poker sites operating legally in the UK. The Isle of Man, Alderney, and Gibraltar are also widely recognised as top tier licensing jurisdictions.
On the other end of the spectrum, the least stringent jurisdictions will issue an online poker site license for nothing more than a fee. The only way to avoid that nightmare is to stick to sites recommended by PokerSites.co.uk.
Is Online Poker Fixed?
Anything is possible at an unlicensed or questionably licensed online poker site!
Online poker sites licensed by the UK Gambling Commission are held to high, rigorous standards. They're also periodically audited for on-going compliance. Even gaming software itself must be specifically licensed in the UK, requiring detailed evaluations for fairness, including the randomness of RNGs.
But the standards of sites recommended by PokerSites.co.uk are even higher, going above and beyond fairness and security into all the areas that make a top poker site great.
Are There Fees on Poker Deposits and Withdrawals?
Online poker sites themselves don't charge fees to make a deposit. If anything, you'll probably receive a deposit bonus at the top sites. However, be sure you understand in advance whether the banking method you use to make the deposit charges any transfer fees.
There might be withdrawal fees at some sites. It's best to read a site's rules on withdrawals before you make any deposits to avoid any disappointing surprises.
Do I Need a Credit Card to Play Online Poker?
While a credit card is a great banking option, it's not a necessity. Top sites also accept all major E-Wallets, as well as third party transaction processors like PayPal. This is true for both deposits and withdrawals. Pick whatever method you prefer.
Can I Make Money Playing Poker Online?
Definitely! Whether RNG-based (Random Number Generator) or live dealer, you're pitting your ability to rate hands from outs odds and pot odds against other human players. And when you need to bluff, you do so surrounded by all the amenities of home sweet home, even down to wearing your lucky pyjama bottoms if need be.
Do Poker Sites Operate in GBP?
While all sites permit deposits and withdrawals in GBP, most show hands being played in US dollars. But this is slowly changing, with more and more sites providing tables that play directly in GBP.
How Do I Deposit and Withdraw from an Online Poker Site?
To make a deposit, associate your preferred banking method with the site, and follow the site's deposit process. You can use debit and credit cards, E-Wallet, and third party transaction processors.
The mechanics of withdrawals are just as easy, but there may be requirements to meet before you're allowed to initiate a withdrawal, including:
- Accumulating a certain amount of money in your account
- Daily withdrawal amount limits
- Withdrawal fees
The requirements vary between sites, so read the withdrawal rules and requirements before making your first deposit to avoid unnecessary frustration at cash-out time.
Do I Need to Pay Tax on Online Poker Winnings?
No. Individual UK gamblers do not have to pay taxes on their winnings. However, money earned in connection with gambling such as being paid to appear in a tournament is taxable.
How Do I Receive My Online Poker Bonus?
Numerous bonuses are being offered these days, and how you collect on them varies. Some are triggered by your initial commitment to an online poker site:
- A sign-up bonus is a fixed sum of money provided once per site when you create an account.
- A deposit bonus is available the first time you deposit money at an online poker site, but is more complicated to evaluate per site. The amount you receive is computed as a percentage of your deposit, capped at some maximum. For example, a 100% deposit bonus fetching a maximum of $1000 requires a $1000 deposit. A smaller deposit earns a lower percentage.
- A no deposit bonus is the most lucrative starting bonus offered. With it, you can try a poker site without the risk of having to make a deposit. Play-through requirements typically apply to collect it. How you claim it differs from site to site. Some sites automatically credit your account. Others require you to request it via email or live chat. Others provide coupon codes to enter when interacting with the casino cashier.
Other bonuses continue to pay dividends while you remain committed:
- A free bonus might be available when your join and as you continue to wager at an online poker site.
- A refer-a-friend bonus generally pays a fixed sum to both you and someone who names you when signing-up. You are rewarded for bringing the online poker site more business. The more people you refer, the more you accumulate.
- A loyalty bonus is earned every time you play. It's usually a small amount, but can really add up over time. You'll usually receive email notifications indicating when you've earned loyalty bonuses.
Can I Get Help for an Online Gambling Problem?
Yes. Start with friends and loved ones who want the best for you by default. A little love and understanding goes a long way.
If that's not enough, seek the best professional help available. Find an organisation that can put you in touch with counsellors and support groups locally. Some UK examples include:
- GamCare (http://www.gamcare.org.uk/)
- Gam-Anon (http://www.gamanon.org.uk/)
- Gamblers Anonymous UK (http://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/)
- GambleAware (http://www.gambleaware.co.uk)
Biggest Question -
Can Anyone Play Online Poker?
Anyone aged 18 or over can play online poker in the UK.
Can I Play Online Poker for Free?
Absolutely. There are a variety of fun free play options:
- Real money sites that offer a no deposit bonus. This bonus is real money that you can play and even win with. However, you won't be able to collect the deposit or winnings until you make a deposit and fulfil playthrough requirements.
- Play money sites that let players enjoy real poker games and tournaments against each other for play chips.
- Free modes of a casino poker games like casino Hold'em where players play against the dealer.
Can I Play Poker with My Mac?
Yes. The top poker sites provide Mac software applications to their games and tournaments. And in the rare case that they don't, they'll offer an instant play option that you can use inside the web browser on your Mac. Find the best sites on our Mac poker page.
Can I Play Poker Online Legally in the UK?
Playing poker online is completely utterly legal in the UK so long as you're at least 18.
What Are the Best Poker Games to Play Online?
It's really a matter of mind-set and taste. But if you believe there's strength in numbers, today's most popular poker variants include:
- Texas Hold'em
- Omaha Hold'em, aka Omaha Hi
- Omaha Hi/Lo, usually Omaha 8 or Better, aka "Omaha 8"
- Seven Card Stud
An extra dimension of variety is whether the games are limit or no-limit, which require different strategies.
What Are the Easiest Poker Sites to Play At?
The easiest poker sites strive to excel at:
- Providing the cleanest, most intuitive game software, both for download and instant play options
- Supporting the most banking methods, and the most straightforward interfaces to them
- Clearly documenting their rules, regulations, site instructions, and game tutorials
- Making intelligent customer support personnel available and responsive
What Are the Odds of Winning at Online Poker?
Since poker isn't merely a game of chance, there are no fixed odds to winning. Good hands can and do lose. Bad hands can and do win. In the long run, it all comes down to how skilfully you assess the value of your hand each street relative to pot odds, and knowing when to call, fold, raise, and bluff.
What Is a Poker Freeroll?
At online poker sites, a freeroll is a shortened term for freeroll tournament, which is a tournament requires no entry fee. In typical tournaments, the prize pool derives from entry fees minus a portion kept by the house. In a freeroll, the online site provides the pool.
There are variations on the freeroll theme:
- Completely free
- Free, but requiring player points specific to a site's point system
- Free, but requiring a player account deposit
The form of freeroll winnings also varies:
- Real money
- Tournament invitations
- Site points
What Is the Best Poker Site for Beginners?
Beginners are always best served by the top sites rated by PokerSites.co.uk that also offer one or more forms of free play. The top sites are easiest to navigate and provide the clearest instructions and tutorials, with customer service staff eager to get beginners going. Like training wheels, free play gives beginners valuable real playing experience without risk.
What Is the Best Poker Site for Experienced Players?
Experienced players want to maximise their playing time while minimising how long it takes to collect their winnings. An experienced player can count on PokerSites.co.uk to recommend online poker sites with lots of tables, lots of game variety, and no-nonsense withdrawal processes. These tend to be the best established sites such as 888 Poker or PokerStars.
Which Poker Sites Have the Best Tournaments?
You'll find the best tournaments at online poker sites that offer a wide variety of formats, including:
- Guaranteed (prize pool)
- Double or nothing
- Sit & Go
Top online poker sites also post and update tournament schedules frequently, including those that begin at small, regular intervals during non-peak times. Some sites will even sponsor qualifying players at major poker events. That can mean free food, lodging, and buy-ins.
Where Can I Find the Best Poker Bonuses?
New online poker sites often come roaring to the table, pushing the best poker bonuses even further in your favour. But don't waste precious playing time on such homework. PokerSites.co.uk is in the business of directing you to the best bonuses coupled with other vital top site features. Bookmark us and visit frequently so you're never more than a two clicks from a great online poker experience.